Life ain't gonna get any better. You are.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Strangely satisfying solitary.

The last person I called was Millie because I enjoy his company and he's in the neighbourhood and I barely see him enough. He said he had plans, so I dismissed it and gave up asking anybody else out. Ten minutes later he calls back saying plans were cancelled so I proposed a movie - conveniently enough neither of us had seen Wolverine and the last viewing for Thursday 28th May was 9:40pm. It was 9:20pm when we decided. So I switched off the laptop and left the house. Five minutes after the call and a few seconds after I had left the house, he calls saying that plans might be back on again and that he'd call me back in three. I keep driving, very set on watching a movie with or without company. Four minutes later he calls and with guilty tone admits he cannot accompany me, which I feel no disappointment about; it was 50/50 either way.

I arrive at knox at 9:41pm and walk briskly past the stirring bars and deep throbbing rnb, it is the beginning of another night, another party. I smile at the non-existent line once within the refuge of a largely deserted waiting space. The girl behind the counter calls me to her. A quick, pleasant exchange of a ten dollar note for a dollar coin, a ticket, a receipt and a snack bar combo's voucher had me feeling this was a good idea after all. I skip the steps two by two and walk up to the ticket-ripping pulpit to find a teenage boy kneeling behind it tying a clear plastic bag of ticket stubs to throw out I assumed. I rip my ticket (as usual) and ask him which half he wanted, he took the shorter one - he was being generous.

I walk the hallway of large, numbered double doors, to Cinema 6 and slide into my seat amongst the middle seats in the back row. There was an empty between another couple and myself but after 2 minutes of indecisiveness I moved myself a row down and a little to the left, one space away from another couple of guys. The back row two chatted and I didn't want to be distracted, I'm pretty sure they knew I moved because of them. Oh yes! I was glad of my timing in arrival because advertisements had just finished and I managed to enjoy the roll of a handful of interesting looking movies trailers.

Anyway.
The movie happened.

I was so engrossed the entire time! Compelled and gripped by the action and the apparent pain that played out on this large window into another world. I lost myself in it all and felt much, much better. I think the last movie I watched was about three months ago. I don't watch in cinemas an awful lot. The last was He's just not that into you, and the one before it, Rock'n'rolla. I think all the movies I've watched this year have been largely rewarding, enjoyable, few and far between; making the experiences rare and bolder than routine.

So the credits roll and I let the orchestra build up the final song and crash freshly onto me like waves on a windy summer night. I was the last person left in the cinema (there were only nine or ten of us altogether).

Anyway, I loved it. I loved the movie. I loved the experience, there was nobody else to notice around me! I forgot myself and learned the "truth" concerning Wolverine.

A definite recommendation! Likewise I'd suggest watching a movie not freshly released but a little old, in the last "shift" of a weekday night (cept Tuesdays) ;)

1 comment:

Old news

My photo
Lover of ink and all else misc.