Life ain't gonna get any better. You are.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

they call it 'love'... the one i've never known

my friends broke up last night,
she told me this morning in a message to my phone
he messaged me privately over facebook telling me to look out for her on his behalf

It makes me curious...about that love that is so very often plastered on the walls of my every environment. It seems the world wants love, because there is something in its tone that speaks of fulfilment, of perfection and the abolishing of loneliness.

Love, the perfect one, is what I think would do me well. It is quite the only thing keeping me above this world, this sinking ship.

On the other hand, I don't think I could handle a break up. If, at any point, I allow somebody that close to me, to know me that intimately (no, not physically; intimately), I suppose I'd have already decided early on, no detachment is in order. Why would you allow somebody to know you that intimately if you hadn't intended to be with that somebody at least indefinitely, let alone with the intention of marriage! *gasps from readers!

Before dating, if ever I am afforded the opportunity, there is friendship. A very, very solid friendship. The friendship that began without attraction, or insufficient amounts for it to be the main motivation for knowing a person. The friendship, then strengthened much by the toughs of life, would result in genuine respect and care for that person. Continuing from a birds eye perspective: the two then build on each other as friends do, confide in each other, and work better together. Efficiency is quite the key; the if's follow suit: If they are stronger together and the support system is better together than apart. If they intercede for the other and encourage each other. If criticism is constructive and clear with God intentions between them; with a greater desire for the other to grow above that of them not to be hurt. If their ministries take them on similar (if not the same path). If their knowledge of the other repels doubts and develops protective mechanisms. If their drive to live is only God and his will...

then they have the fundamental foundation for a relationship deeper than friendship. By then, knowing the other is quite intimate, nothing short of a best friend status. By then, attraction is somewhat imminent. [But don't get me wrong, I have my far share of guy friends who qualify most of my If's, but who I am not drawn to in such manners]

Thus begins dating.

I know not from there what or how things work, but I believe dating is the practice for marriage. The intention for me would be marriage. I don't imagine I would factor in "breaking up" as an option during my dating. I believe that perhaps "break up" is an excuse not to iron out the lumps in the cloth. Because I honestly believe that by the "dating" stage, there would be more than enough reasons to love a person, and the conflicting natures of both are cogs that are to be chipped away at and sanded down and polished.

I could be wrong.

I wouldn't know.
That's the naive, perfectionist opinion of she who has never been in love.
"Love" in this context between a girl and a boy.
I think I'd like to be 'in love'. But to go looking would not satisfy my idealistic checklist.
This love is no essential.
Again, I'd say, it's a question of efficiency.
If I am not more efficient with another, I could not expect to spend the rest of my life with them. If they do not play a part in making me a better person, what good are they to me? and vice versa.

I conclude, this love is beyond me.
It might be better, better kept that way ;)

Good luck to you, in regard to this love...not that I endose the search for such complication. How about I just hope you achieve your full potential, whether that encompasses a life partner or not!

2 comments:

  1. The middle section needs more colour, highlighting, underlining and bolding :)

    But i guess you intended it to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dunno, i didn't think any of the middle section deserved any emphasis.

    its not a topic i like to dwell on, lest I get sucked in and googoo eyed like the rest of them ;)

    ReplyDelete

Old news

My photo
Lover of ink and all else misc.