Life ain't gonna get any better. You are.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Musings seeded by a Very Close One of Mine:

Be it far from me to adopt the perspective of skepticism! But, this time...for once...crazily enough, a Very Close One of Mine (who claims he does not believe in love), made an accusation "We are all in love with the poet, with the idea of love, not the person themselves". Except that I forgot his words, and he said it much better. He developed the idea that people could love the poems exchanged yet neglect and pass the one they exchange with.

Sadly, I do believe that's the case, most of the time. Two may meet, know little, if anything of the other person, yet entertain the 8% probability that they're suited for each other. Why? Because they cling to the hope that love is closer than it may be; that it is chanced rather than worked for. So I watch many a friend meet somebody they're attracted to, who responds to their flirts and who they can converse like clockwork with. Then naively, they pin to this 'other' everything they would love in a companion, and if not proved wrong, then considered found in. For the sake of clarity, let's take the illustration of "must love dogs", lame I know.

Henry found a lovely girl: she was unique, pretty, had the cutest laugh, the softest smile and the quirkiest wit.
Henry's dog's had been with him for two thirds of his life, there was nothing short of a lifetime shared between them. Thus, the "must love dogs" criteria.
-Enters Kira-
She would comment about his dogs often, and would laugh with him at them.
He thought she loved Dog#1 to #3.
She thought they were "just dogs"; she laughed more because she thought Henry was cute when he played with them
Kira had no problem with dogs, but that doesn't exactly qualify her for the crucial criteria. However, Henry was just too plastered to see that she would never go out of her way for his dogs lest he stood on one leg, played the harmonica and juggled kittens for 30seconds...or begged her. We do what we must to please another, in some cases it's not overly inconvenient. Therefore, it is not until times are pressingly inconvenient that we discover the deeper values (or lack of) concerning those we are attracted to.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in love, and I do believe in the love that binds husband and wife. I just believe it is harder to attain than is acknowledged for, thanks to chick flicks and romance series'. As agreed between myself and a Very Close One of Mine, "bad timing" is not valid reason for break ups of relationships. Rather, now that I think about it, "bad times" are the incubators that nurture love, the real thing.

I conclude! Said I, four hours ago: "Never befriend a thinker". Now glad am I that my friends don't abide by that rule!
Forgive my laziness, I simply can't be bothered adjusting these words into colours and fonts and sizes. Bye. I like to tell you these things. I don't see you lots, but I hope you're all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old news

My photo
Lover of ink and all else misc.