Life ain't gonna get any better. You are.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

a day late: yesterday's account of minding my own business

I was waiting for the train.
I saw him near.
I saw him, without shame, plunge his hand into the open black bagged bin between us and triumphantly retrieve an upright can of coke. He picked off the little bit of fluff sitting lightly on the top of the can, gave it a little shake weighing his small victory and thrust his head back, thirstily guzzling the liquid jewel. Five seconds later, a satisfied "Aaahhh!".

I saw him gratefully return the favour, with a gentle toss and smile.


He was unusual. Clearly different. Yet I could find no definition for "poor" on him. His clothes weren't tattered or dirty on passing glances, neither was his face. He couldn't have been much older than me. I guessed fifteen or seventeen, he didn't look local. Asian, reasonably small build, childish look. Carefree.

I was intrigued. Did he crave the coke? Or a drink? Did he not know of hygiene? Or did he not care?

And I watched him walk away as I position my headphones to allow clouds of light, warm blue and lonely music stream into my mind. I contemplated asking him if he was hungry...I had snacks I didn't mind parting with. I didn't ask. He walked away, wearing his self-achieved smile.

And I wasn't sure which I was more concerned about: him and his whereabouts in life or me and my absence of remorse following the easy decision to take no action.

I still don't know.

What is the line between minding my own business and acting on a limb? I don't like minding my own business, but i use it as an excuse many a time. I don't know why..

5 comments:

  1. ahh!! i know exactly how you feel..

    okay maybe i shouldnt type that.. exactly bit..

    but yer.. im not sure how to act..coz they look content and expressions are as if they better of than ourselves. ><

    im not sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when you feel especially prompted to approach a person..just go for it. Too often I shy away from connecting with a stranger because of XYZ (Idon'tknow, fear of stepping out of our 'comfort zone'?-as the Christian cliche goes) but I think it brings wonderful possibilities. It adds another dimension to my day, somehow (when I do). When I don't, regret always hits me hard after. I mean, we only live once, and we'll probably never see them again, and who know how a kind word/smile/exchange might affect someone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, point taken.
    and somehow i knew it all along.

    aarrrghhh!! compromise, is too familiar a friend with me lately!

    ReplyDelete

Old news

My photo
Lover of ink and all else misc.